Couscous with Cherry Tomatoes
Want something different this summer to serve as a side dish? Then this light but nutrient-rich salad is the solution. It is a delicious, healthy, and best of all, easy-to-make side.
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup dry whole wheat couscous
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or ½ cup quartered tomatoes)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 6 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- Sea salt (to taste; optional)
- Cracked black pepper (to taste; optional)
Bring water to boil in a large pot over high heat.
Add couscous. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the couscous is fluffy and water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
Combine couscous, 3 tsp. oil, and lemon juice in a medium serving bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms release liquid. Remove from heat.
Add tomatoes, mushrooms, mint, and parsley to couscous; toss gently to blend.
Season with salt and pepper if desired.