Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
A heart-healthy recipe for stuffed peppers filled with brown rice, vegetables and cheese for a Mexican flavor influence. And, if you want to get really creative, try it with black rice, also known as forbidden rice.
• No-Stick Cooking Spray
• 2 large green or red bell peppers
• 1/2 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1 can (10 oz each) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies-No Salt Added, drained
• 1-1/2 cups frozen Southwest mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, red peppers)
• 1 can (8 oz each) Tomato Sauce, divided
• 1/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 8×8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut bell peppers lengthwise through stem into halves. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut-side down, in dish. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions, adding cumin and garlic salt. Add drained tomatoes, mixed vegetables and half of tomato sauce to cooked rice; stir to combine. Divide rice mixture and place inside peppers. Top with remaining tomato sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake 20 minutes or until peppers are hot and cheese melts.
183 calories, 30g Carbs, 7g protein